- July 22, 2021
- Posted by: Stratford Team
- Category: Business
by Brittany Anderson
What started as a bank in the 1920s on Buda’s Main Street is now home to The Cigar Vault, a local business being recognized for its commitment to preserving the building’s history.
J.D. Sanford and Richard Alexander of the Buda Historic Preservation Committee (HPC) presented The Cigar Vault owner Jeff Beal and general manager Brian Foley with a framed poster on July 19. The poster details the building’s history and Beal and Foley’s preservation efforts. This is part of a new program by the HPC that will recognize businesses and the historical building in which they operate quarterly.
The building began as Farmers State Bank in 1928 and was one of the last commercial buildings constructed in Buda’s historic district. It closed just a few years later in 1931, likely due to the onset of the Great Depression. After later serving as a cafe, grocer and brokerage, among other things, the building was vacant…