Calif. AG says most businesses acting fast to head off privacy enforcement

The California flag flies above City Hall in Santa Monica, California February 6, 2009. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson

  • State has passed one-year mark of CCPA enforcement
  • Attorney General Bonta launched new online privacy tool

(Reuters) – The majority of businesses that received notices from the California Department of Justice of an alleged violation of the state’s privacy law have addressed the issue within the 30-day statutory window, California Attorney General Rob Bonta said on Monday.

The California attorney general’s office started enforcing the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) on July 1, 2020. Since then, 75% of businesses that the state notified acted to comply, while the other 25% are “either within their 30-day window or are under an active investigation,” Bonta said during a press conference about the first year of enforcement of the law.

Under the privacy law, businesses have 30 days to “cure” an alleged violation after being notified, before the…

Read more…