Carhart Lumber celebrates 100 Years of business in Wayne, Nebraska | News

NORFOLK — Charles E. Carhart arrived in Wayne, Nebraska in 1910 from Canton, South Dakota where he had lived for one year. After Charles located in Wayne, his brother Benjamin joined in and they operated a hardware store on the east side of Main Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets and then opened a second hardware store in Emerson, NE. The hardware business was sold in 1919 to Lloyd McNatt and was operated by two generations of the McNatt family.

In 1921 the two Carhart families purchased a lumber yard in Wayne, NE at 105 Main Street from Franklin Philleo and John Harington and established Carhart Lumber Co.

Charles and his son Ralph and Charles’ brother Benjamin with his son John Braden Carhart began operating the lumber yard and were joined in 1923 by John C. Carhart who had been studying engineering at the University of Illinois at Champaign, IL. Ralph, Braden, Benjamin were involved with sales and John C. did…

Read more…