- June 27, 2021
- Posted by: Stratford Team
- Category: Business
- Two dramatic crashes sent dozens of riders to the ground at the Tour de France on Saturday.
- In one incident a roadside spectator holding a cardboard sign caused riders to crash en masse.
- Several riders were injured, some abandoned, and many lost time on the opening stage.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
Two horrific crashes on the opening stage of the Tour de France brought down dozens of riders on Saturday.
The first half of the stage, which started in Brest, in the northwest part of the France, was relatively quiet with a small breakaway up the road. But as the race heated up chaos ensued.
The first big crash happened when a rider at the front of the main bunch — Tony Martin on the Jumbo-Visma team — hit a fan’s cardboard sign sticking out into the road.
Martin went down hard,…